I don’t think how the tokens are classified matters that much given the recent coinbase employee insider trading charges.
I’m at the Decipher conference and interestingly a number of sessions have been dedicated to detecting and preventing fraud in addition to building trust and credibility, which was a very good decision particularly given the recent crypto events.
A lot of interesting points and discussions around red flags in the “We Won’t Get Fooled Again: Where Crypto Goes From Here” session. In particular, I liked Eric’s cookie jar example and how having policies and transparency in place are really necessary.
Even Sean dedicated his second day opening remarks to the Crypto therapy and Algorand playing a leadership role in building the trust and credibility for the whole industry. He also mentioned that Algorand has already kept all its promises! I liked the topic choice and the content, however I found how it was presented a bit dishonest by ignoring the fact that’s not how many Algofam think about what has happened so far. This was an opening remark and probably not a good place to say anything but absolute positive about Algorand, however, as he said, talking is cheap and the real action matters. Both orgs are heavily relying on the Algorand community’s support and should do what it takes to gain the broken trust and credibility back. One thing that is clear is that expectations from Algorand, for very good reasons (not only because of the project and team but also the investors theselves are not typical crypto investors), are much higher than any other project or entity in the crypto space, therefore using the existing practices in the crypto space as example and saying that Algorand is doing the same or slightly better and that’s therefore good enough is disappointing.