Tebok,
The 10 billion number is not set in stone. On the Algorand blockchain, a protocol upgrade can increase that amount, or introduce a mechanism to “mint” additional coins.
I’m sure that you’re well aware of reported individuals that lost their bitcoin account keys… which makes these fund “burned”. That by itself makes any pre-minted blockchain deflationary.
On the Algorand blockchain implementation, Algos are using uint64, which has a range of 0…2^64-1. Each Algo contains 1 million uAlgos, which takes ~20 bits. At this time, only the first 54 bits are used ( i.e. 1B * 1M ). So, from technical perspective, there are 10 extra bits for growth… which leaves lots of room for future decision making.
Note that at the current time, it won’t make any sense, since only a (small) portion of the Algos released to the market. The Algorand Foundation have a clear roadmap, so I wouldn’t be expecting to see any change before that… but I could be wrong.